Friday, December 29, 2006

smoking

Why do people here love smoking? Fair enough, do it at home but not in shops, restaurants, offices, buses, taxis. It’s disgusting but it is their way of life! I think that thousands of Syrians will die of lung cancer before they hit 40. Kids smoke, women smoke and nearly all the men.

When I get in a taxi and the driver is about to light up, I tell him not to smoke as I have my daughter with me or I am allergic or I am off to an interview or something. They just take it for granted that they have the right to smoke and poison me.

My last escapade was at a nut shop. The guy was smoking and I said to him that I would respectfully like to mention something and hope not to offend. He indicates to me to continue… and then I said the following…

I am a customer in his shop and not his home.
You are selling food so hygiene is important.
You are smoking and germs from your mouth are in contact with the food I am buying so please throw your cigarette away, wash your hands and serve me.

He apologised and did what I asked, not really bothered as he didn’t want to lose the business and obviously once I leave, he would have just lit up again. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhh!!!!

And what about those disgusting hubba bubba’s! They’re just as bad. In restaurants people smoke them after a meal, before a meal and also DURING a meal. These places cannot forbid smoking as everyone wants to smoke and they will lose money if they prohibit smoking. I had great joy in going to a restaurant with my family and ordering loads of food, with the intention of eating, and when a guy started smoking, I asked the waiter to tell him to stop as I don’t like it and my children were with me. He said he couldn’t so I said thank you and walked out.

My next step in educating the masses is to first determine what the rules are concerning smoking in public places and then calling a policeman over to write a ticket to the culprit. I am sure I will get into trouble but the health of my family and me is important and no one is going to poison me with fumes if I can help it.

My wife smokes like a chimney but always on the balcony or near the kitchen window. When people come round, I throw them out onto the balcony to get their fix and they respect my wishes but I am sure they’re cursing.

But you know what, I DON’T CARE.

No comments: